Friday, December 7, 2012

The Fake Note

My roommate Grant has had a crush on our new neighbour across the hall for months. Grant's family lives in Europe so he's spending the Easter holidays alone in Toronto.

My brother and I are going home to the suburbs for a few days over the Easter weekend. One night we decide to play a practical joke on Grant. We had to go back downtown to run an errand so we swing by the apartment and tape a fake note to our door. It reads: "I've seen you around and I think you're really cute. I see you're alone for the holiday, too. Feel free to come over if you get lonely. Apt. 1503."


Later that night I get a call from Grant who had found the note. He fills me in and I play dumb.

"I think I'm going to go over and say hi," Grant tells me.

"No, don't do that," I respond.


"Why not," he asks.
"You don't want to seem desperate. I think you should wait a few days before making a move."

We wanted to keep the prank going a little while longer so I refrain from coming clean. After some coaxing I persuade Grant to hold off. I figure I would call him the next night and reveal the joke and we'd all get a good laugh.

However, the next day I'm busy with visiting family and cooking Easter dinner. I totally forget to call Grant back.
When we get home on the Monday, Grant is in a state of confusion and embarrassment. As soon as I see him I know exactly what's gone wrong. The little ditchpig couldn't resist!

He went to the neighbour's apartment last night. "So I go knock on his door," Grant explains, "and he answers. I tell him that I got the note he left on my door and that I was excited to take him up on his offer."

"Uh huh," I say like a deer in headlights.

"The guy had no idea what I was talking about. So clearly nothing happened."
"Well that doesn't sound too bad."

"It gets worse," Grant says. "Then the guy's boyfriend came to the door!"

"Shit," I say knowing that I was about to be in big trouble.

"The boyfriend was pissed and neither of us could explain what the hell was going on. Anyway, I just apologized for the misunderstanding and ran across the hall."

"OK, I have something to tell you but you have to promise not to kill me," I say and proceed to confess the whole debauched prank.

To my surprise Grant starts laughing. "Why would you do that?"

"I didn't think you'd actually go over there," I say laughing as well.

"It's really not funny," Grant says. "That could cause them to break up."

"I know. OK, I'll go over and clear things up."

I head over and explain the situation. Our neighbours are not amused but I'm sure it'll blow over.
As time goes by I see them in the hallway and the lobby but they make no effort to say hello to me. It serves me right.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i like it. it could have been an opener for your friend. this way he could say he was punked and the other would have known he has the option to get in contact and diss you over a drink. true friend you are.